This is another contribution from Alexandra, and a Moosilauke Ravine Lodge favorite. I believe the recipe is adapted from the Moosewood Enchanted Broccoli Forest Cookbook.
3 fist-sized potatoes
3 c cleaned, chopped leeks
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
4 T butter
¾ t salt
½ c stock or water
3 c milk
Optional: Chopped herbs (thyme, marjoram, basil)
1) Scrub and chop potatoes into 1 inch cubes
2) Sauté potatoes with leeks, celery, carrot, and butter
3) Add salt and cook about 5 minutes more
4) Add stock/water, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-30 minutes
5) Puree*, heat until just hot, and add herbs and pepper. Taste and add salt if
* April 2013: Just made some Beet Soup with Cumin with an immersion blender (see Cool Tools 3). Wow! The prep time is shorter and the clean-up much easier. Going forward I will be using the immersion blender instead of the food processor for all pureed soups.