When Ed and I first met, Lasagna (following the recipe on the box) was about the only thing Ed knew how to cook. While his version was heavy on the hamburg, I prefer a vegetarian version.
Four "Topher-size" servings, six smaller servings:
5 7” x 7’ pieces of no-cook lasagna (or equivalent area lasagna noodles, prepared per package instructions)
1 26 oz jar spaghetti sauce
6 oz part skim mozzarella cheese
16 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
Parmesan cheese, grated
1 package frozen chopped spinach (optional)
NOTE Most no-cook lasagna instructions direct one to dip pasta sheet in hot water before placing in dish (see directions on package) I usually by-pass this step but add a little additional water to the sauce (see step 11)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
(1) On the bottom of a 8 x 8 ovenproof pan put a very thin layer of spaghetti sauce.
(2) Place one lasagna square (or strips of lasagna noodles to cover) on sauce.
(3) Spread 1/3 of remaining spaghetti sauce on top of lasagna.
(4) Sprinkle 1/3 of mozzarella that has been grated or place one thin layer of mozzarella that has been thinly sliced with cheese shaver on top of sauce.
(5) Place lasagna square on top of cheese.
(6) Spread ½ of ricotta over entire area of lasagna.
(7) OPTIONAL Spread ½ of spinach that has been thoroughly drained (squeeze with hands like a sponge to remove additional moisture) over ricotta. When cooking for Topher I used to leave spinach off one quarter.
(8) Place lasagna square over ricotta/spinach.
(9) Spread ½ of remaining spaghetti sauce on top of lasagna.
(10) Repeat steps (4) – (8).
(11) Spread remaining spaghetti sauce mixed with ½ c water on top of lasagna.
(12) Repeat step 4.
(13) Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top of mozzarella.
Bake in 350 degree F oven for 30-40 minutes until top cheese in browned and sauce is bubbly. COOLING for 10-15 minutes before serving will result in pieces that are firmer and less runny.
Add ½ pound Scrambled Hamburger to spaghetti sauce layer.
Add 1 pound sliced, sautéed mushrooms to spaghetti sauce layer .
Add sautéed zucchini in addition to or in place of spinach in ricotta layer.